Let’s talk about face cleansers and washes. Finding a natural, good quality face cleanser is imperative for healthy skin. You wash your face at least once a day, and hopefully even twice (in the morning and at night). A face wash should cleanse, rehydrate, wash away dirt, oils, and impurities, and not be too harsh and dry out skin.
The problem with most face cleansers is they contain a host of chemical and synthetic ingredients that are too drying, harsh on your skin, and can even make you break out and give you unpleasant and unsightly rashes. Therefore, it is important to ditch the chemical washes and opt for a healthy, natural, and organic option.
The 5 Best Selling Natural and Organic Face Cleansers:
This is a real-time updating list of the 5 best selling natural and organic face cleansers on Amazon.com.
- EVERYDAY USE: Ideal for all skin types, removes makeup and impurities leaving skin fresh
- VIRGIN COCONUT OIL: Provides gentle cleansing while maintaining skin's moisture level
- GIVE BACK: Your Alaffia purchase funds empowerment projects helping to break the cycle of poverty
- FAIR TRADE: Alaffia has committed to sourcing 100% Certified Fair Trade Ingredients
- EXTREME ANTIOXIDANT BENEFITS - With potent antioxidants like Vitamin C, and natural Organic Aloe, this cleanser works for both men and women to rejuvenate and refine the skin. All types of skin will...
- BLEMISH DEFENSE - Our Vitamin C Cleanser helps clear and reduce pores, breakouts, and skin blemishes. The ingredients in this cleanser help with sun spots, discoloration, dullness and free radical...
- BRIGHTENING ACTION FOR BALANCED COMPLEXION - Penetrating deep to keep the skin hydrated by using a combination of soothing oils and moisturizers to leave the face with a boost of hydration and a clean...
- EXFOLIATING AGE REVERSAL - Boosters in this cleanser help to wash away dulling skin cells, fading the appearance of lines, wrinkles, or fine blemishes. With nourishing ingredients to provide daily...
- WASH AND HYDRATE SKIN - Removes dirt and impurities, improves elasticity of skin, helps to moisturize, smooth and prevent wrinkles, and repairs damaged skin
- NATURAL & ORGANIC INGREDIENTS - An incredible combination of premium Natural & Organic botanical ingredients such as Honey, Coconut Milk, Vitamin E, Jojoba Oil & Rosemary
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - Try our Coconut Milk & Honey Face Cleanser Risk Free - If you're not completely satisfied let us know for a full refund - Simple as that
- THE BEST SOLUTION FOR A NATURAL DAILY FACE CLEANSER - Stop cleansing with harsh soaps that strip skin of its natural oils - our face wash uses soothing ingredients that moisturize and renew at the...
- NEW TUBE PACKAGING. SAME GREAT PRODUCT. ESPECIALLY GREAT FOR THOSE WITH VERY SENSITIVE SKIN: NO harmful chemicals of any kind (no chemical preservatives, no SLS, SLES, Propylene Glycol, PG...
- OUR PRODUCTS ARE CONCENTRATED AND EFFECTIVE: Gently & thoroughly cleanses your skin without stripping, drying or leaving build-up. Our 4 oz. bottle is equivalent to 8 oz. bottles of other products. A...
- MADE WITH CERTIFIED ORGANIC & 100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our products are prepared every week to ensure they are at their optimum best when you receive them. We even go one step further and guarantee...
- DESIGNED TO GET YOU RESULTS. Uniquely designed to gently, thoroughly, cleanse your skin while delivering key nourishing and benefiting ingredients. While it can be used alongside other brands, our...
- Refreshing lather lifts away dulling impurities for fresh, bright skin
- Formulated with Vitamin C to combat environmental stress & damage
- Contains organic ingredients
- No GMOs, vegan & biodegradable
Toxic Ingredients in Face Cleansers
Sodium Lauryl Sulfateis found in most traditional face cleansers and even some washes that claim they are natural and chemical-free. SLS can cause major skin irritations, canker sores, damage to the eyes, and can cause bad acne around the mouth and the chin. If you find yourself breaking out is a red and/or bumpy, and painful rash around the mouth, chin, and eyes you may have an allergy to SLS. Typicaly this rash is very challenging to heal without proper treatment with medication from a dermatologist. The EWG Skin Deep website classifies SLS as “expected to be toxic or harmful” in organ system toxicity. SLS a chemical surfactant that makes soapy products, like face wash, foam.
SLS can also be hidden in the ingredient list on a face cleanser as sodium coco sulfate, which is still equally as harmful despite the fact it is derived from coconuts and not made artificially in a lab. SLS strips your face of its natural oils, which can make your face produce even more oil to combat the issue. Therefore, you skin will be dry, irritated, and your acne will likely be much worse.
Fragrance is another ingredient that should be avoided at all costs – not just in face wash, but any personal care or makeup product as well. Fragrance is where many companies like to hide heaps of chemicals and artificial ingredients. Companies are not required to disclose what is included in the term “fragrance.” Additionally, most fragrances are stabilized with phthalates, which are chemicals that are linked to reproductive issues and birth defects when tested on animals. Anything that has fragrance listed as one of the ingredients should be avoided and you should look for an option that wither doesn’t list fragrance as an ingredient or that they fragrance is coming from essential oil blends.
Parabens are also extremely common and you can read all about the dangers of parabens in our post on foundations, here. Parabens are an extremely common ingredient in makeup and skincare products. If you are not buying natural and organic products, there is a high probability that parabens are lurking in your face cleanser.
How to Find a Natural Face Cleanser
There are a ton of organic and 100% natural face washes and cleansers on the market, so finding a healthy option does not have to be hard or intimidating. You can easily purchase great cleaners online or even in your local supermarket or drug store.
There are a few important tips to keep in mind when searching for your new chemical-free face cleanser. Many companies can claim they are natural or “uses natural ingredients.” However, that doesn’t mean they are actually natural – it could still be loaded with chemicals and toxic ingredients. You should never trust a product that claims they are natural or use “organic ingredients.” This is often a red flag signal and you must read the ingredient list on the back of the product to make sure there is nothing of concern.
Since cosmetics are not fully regulated, personal care companies are not required to fully disclose what is in their products (aka what is in their frangrance) so it’s imperative you read the ingredient list. Keep a look of for any red flag ingredients, like those above, and any other ingredients that sound like a chemical formula. When in doubt about an ingredient, use the EWG Skin Deep database to check the ingredients toxicity level.
Look for a face wash that only has a small amount of ingredients and ones that are naturally derived. You don’t need your face wash to have 30 different ingredients listed on the label. When it comes to skincare, less is always better.
The 5 Best Natural and Organic Face Cleansers:
With so much to keep in mind, here are the 5 best natural and organic face cleansers you can buy online.
Desert Essence face cleanser is USDA Certified organic, super moisturizing, and gentle on sensitive skin. This face wash won’t leave your skin feeling tight or dry after using it due to the hydrating abilities of apple juice, cucumber, chamomile, and aloe. The cucumber also leaves your skin bright and glowing!
This face wash is free of animal-derived ingredients, animal testing, animal cruelty, parabens, artificial fragrances/dyes, petrolatum compounds such as mineral oil, petrolatum, or paraffin, SLS, PEGS, PPG, MERA, DEA, TEA, glycols, phthalates, and gluten. When you read the ingredient list the only stuff you see is wholesome, natural, real ingredients. If you need a simple and gentle face cleanser for your sensitive and/or acne prone skin, this face wash is a perfect option.
This face wash is great for those of you who have normal and sensitive skin. The face wash is all handmade and affordably priced, which can be challenging to find when a product is vegan, handmade, and healthy. It’s formulated with pure organic castile soap and kaolin clay, which is fantastic for quickly drawing out impurities. They also put in Palmarosa essential oil for antiseptic and bactericide properties that help to hydrate super sensitive skin in the gentlest way possible.
Since this face wash is always handmade, you can even customize you own wash! You can choose to remove the Palmarosa essential oil or add/remove exfoliating jojoba beads. Not only is it fun to customize your own face wash specifically to your needs, but you can also make sure you are getting a healthy and natural product that is exactly what you want and need for your skin. This wash is also EWG Verified so you can feel 100% confident you are purchasing a safe face cleanser.
This is a great all around cleanser for all face types. It is a gentle formula that still removes debris and makeup from your face and pores. Coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil provide nourishing and light hydrating properties without weighing down skin. It has a gel-like consistency, has no added fragrances, and no harsh chemicals or synthetic cleansers.
Sometimes skin can still be sensitive to fragrance even if it is from natural and pure essential oils. If you find you are one of those people, this Be Green face cleaners could be your perfection solution. Fragrance-free formulas always tend to be a bit gentler on the skin as well. So if fragrances of any kind are a concern for you, check out this wonderful product.
There is nothing weird, harsh, or unnatural in this rose scented face wash! This face wash is extra gentle for people who have very sensitive skin. It cleans away debris and makeup, leaving your skin fresh and squeaky-clean, but without any harshness or irritation.
According to the description, “licorice and uvaursi brighten; coffee cherry and green coffee revitalize; yellow dock calms redness while anti-inflammatory chamomile, calendula and aloe deeply soothe.” There are absolutely no harsh chemicals, synthetic cleansers, or toxic ingredients. This brand creates wonderful products and you really cannot go wrong with any of the makeups or skincare products.
This is a super gentle, nourishing, and moisturizing face wash. It will not dry out you skin, cause irritation, or any redness. The cucumber is smoothing and hydrating, watercress is rich in antioxidants and help prevents skin from harmful free radical damage. This face wash is also fragrance-free, gluten-free, and vegan. It is only made from simple, pure ingredients that are USDA Certified Organic. It has a creamy texture and consistency that feels soft and silky on your skin. When you wash away with water it leaves your skin soft and not dry or tight like many face cleaners leave skin once it is rinsed off.
All of our top 5 cleansers are sure to make you skin healthier and more radiant than it has ever been. When you choose a face cleanser without any harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients, your skin will thank you!
Face cleansers are full of harsh foaming agents and chemicals. Make sure you get a natural and organic based face wash for the best skin possible with these picks.