Foundation is one of the most important makeup products to buy natural and organic. Foundation is worn all over your face and takes up a large surface area of skin. Since that foundation is slathered over your whole face, instead of just your eyes or lips, your body and skin absorb more of the chemicals and toxic ingredients if you use conventional foundation. Our skin is our largest organ and it is designed to protect us from the world’s harshest elements. You wouldn’t want to purposefully damage your most precious organ, so treating it with care is a must.
Therefore, it is imperative to select a foundation that is completely natural, chemical and toxin free and includes ingredients that are wholesome and beneficial to the skin.
The 5 Best Selling Natural Foundations:
- Skin Improving Mineral Foundation
- Controls Shine and Reduces Appearance of Pores
- Gentle foundation for Sensitive Skin
- 100 percent preservative, talc and fragrance free
- Full coverage foundation
- Up to 16 hours wear
- Ideal for normal skin
- Ultra-lightweight foundation for normal to oily skin
- Tone plus texture-fitting foundation for the ultimate natural fit
- Erases pores and matches natural tone
- Clinically shown to improve skin clarity, reduce pore size appearance and control shine
- Available in 20 true-to-you shades in a sleek foundation compact.
- Ultra-smooth, silky texture glides on effortlessly for superior customizable coverage.
- Famous no-makeup look and feel
- Clinically proven to improve the appearance of dark spots, skin brightness and skin texture
- Coconut-derived base with jojoba-coated mineral pigments and non-chemical broad spectrum SPF 20
- #1 anti-aging foundation with sunscreen (broad spectrum SPF 28)
- Floats over lines and wrinkles
- Available in various shades ranging from light to tan
- Developed with COVERGIRL makeup expertise and Olay science to blur fine lines and wrinkles
- PERFECT FOR A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE - EVXO Foundations are Certified Organic with Natural Ingredients to keep from clogging your pores. This long lasting formula will accentuate your natural beauty
- ALL DAY WEAR - Our all natural liquid foundation offers smooth application with a dewey, non-greasy finish
- BUILDABLE COVERAGE - Keep your look light and natural or layer up to medium coverage to cover problem areas with this buildable organic makeup
- WE DO NOT BUY OR TRADE FOR REVIEWS. 100% of the reviews you see for this product (Good, or bad) are real reviews that were not paid for, or received in exchange for merchandise.
- Provides ultimate coverage and comfort
- Protects skin from uv damage and prevents uneven skin tone and the appearance of wrinkles
- For a flawless look
- Instantly reduces the look of wrinkles, evens skin tone and delivers firming hydration
- The #1 anti-aging foundation now available in a liquid
- Available in various shades ranging from light to tan
- Amazing skin science brought to makeup
- Liquid foundation restores skin's youthful appearance with 8 hours of continuous moisture
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Available in various shades ranging from light to deep
- A radiant finish
Why Most Foundations are Dangerous
Conventional foundations include a host of dangerous, synthetic, toxic, and cancer-causing ingredients. Below are some ingredients you must avoid if you want to treat your skin well and keep your body healthy.
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is found in some foundations. SLS can cause major skin irritations, canker sores, damage to the eyes, and can cause bad acne around the mouth and the chin. The EWG Skin Deep website classifies SLS as “expected to be toxic or harmful” in organ system toxicity.
Parabens are ones of the most common preservatives found in makeup, including foundation. Parabens are so harmful to the body because they can actually mimic estrogen, according to the FDA. This leads to an increase in breast cancer and skin cancer. Additionally, parabens have the ability to disrupt your endocrine system, leading to reproductive and developmental disorders. This is especially important for women of reproductive age looking to have children. There are many different kinds of parabens, so always keep a look out in the ingredient list.
BHA and BHT are often found in foundations as a preservative. They are a type of synthetic antioxidant and can cause cancers and negatively affect hormone function in the body. Exposure to these substances for an extended period of time have been linked to liver, kidney, and thyroid conditions in mice and can promote tumor growth in certain conditions.
These are just 3 harmful ingredients typically found in most foundations. For a comprehensive list of ingredients to avoid, check out this helpful article!
How to Buy the Best Natural Foundation
Since there are so many ingredients to avoid when buying a natural or organic foundation, these tips will help you select the best options on the market.
Find foundations that have a limited amount of ingredients and make sure you can pronounce the list. Chances are if you can’t even sound out an ingredient or it looks like a different language, you’re best to steer clear of the product. If you are ever unsure about the safety of a product, cross check each ingredient of concern on the EWG Skin Deep database. When you search an ingredient it will give you a score (1-10) and break down the ingredient into the biggest areas of concern and overall concern.
Look for labels like cruelty-free, USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO project verified seal, no parabens, etc. These are often great visual tools to start narrowing down your search. Never trust brands and packages that say “natural” or “made with natural and organic ingredients,” as they can still contain a massive amount of chemicals and toxic ingredients.
Find smaller brands and companies. They often have much more information about their ingredients, where they are sourced from, and the quality level.
The 5 Best Natural and Organic Foundations
Now, let’s take a look at the best Top 5 natural foundations that will leave your face, skin, and entire body healthy and happy.
7 ingredients are all it takes to make this clean, healthy, and completely non-toxic foundation – natural boron nitride (mineral), kaolinite clay, certified organic carnauba, organic raspberry, grape, blueberry, and iron oxides for pigment. The fruits are used as natural antioxidants, there are no skin irritants, is vegan, gluten-free, and packaged in eco-friendly jars. This foundation is also EWG Verified and receives a score of just 1
The foundation itself is smooth and silky for the most flawless and natural looking finish possible. It’s matte and won’t settle into fine lines and cracks in the face. It provides buildable coverage as well.
This EWG Verified foundation, in Coconut Cream, contains only Boron Nitride, Magnesium Myristate, Kaolin, Organic Arrowroot Powder and Iron Oxides. It has absolutely no parabens or artificial or toxic ingredients.
It’s formulated with high-quality natural minerals that will give you even coverage and a velvety smooth finish. You can use this powder foundation wet or dry. You will achieve lighter coverage using it dry and medium coverage when it is used wet. This color has peach undertones and is meant to medium colored skin tones.
Liquid foundations are much harder to come by in the natural and organic sector. Luckily, Mineral Fusion has you covered, literally! Their foundation is EWG Verified, gluten-free, cruelty-free, paraben-free, artificial color-free, fragrance-free, talc-free, hypoallergenic, and phthalate-free.
You may want to exercise caution with titanium oxide, which is included as an ingredient in this foundation. It receives a level 3 rating and has some health concerns. However, it is of smaller concern compared to other harsher ingredients in conventional foundations.
This foundation provides you will full coverage for a flawless finish, it soothes skin with aloe, licorice root, and lavender, and combines green tea, pomegranate, and Vitamin C for age-defying properties.
W3ll People Foundation Sticks are natural, non-GMO, produced using sustainable energy, and are gluten-free. W3ll People is also EWG Verified so you have peace of mind you are using some of the healthiest foundation out there. This stick uses organic ingredients and it a great option for people on the go, looking for a quick and easy application. It will help blur imperfections and give your skin a warm and healthy glow!
Zuii Organics is a certified organic makeup brand. Their makeup is made from flowers, food grade, made is Australia, free of preservatives, petrochemicals, parabens, talc, nano-particles, and GMO’s. It is also cruelty-free. Their liquid foundation has a beautiful medium coverage and a smooth and natural finish.
Finding a natural or organic foundation is one of the most challenging makeup finds. This Top 5 list includes some of the best foundations available for purchase that you can feel good about putting on your skin. If you follow our guide and check out these foundations, you are sure to find something perfect for you needs, skin, and budget!
How to Apply Foundation Perfectly Every Time
Great foundations are hard to find. Organic and natural options are even harder to come by. However, these top 5 options will have you loving your skin and foundation