Let’s talk about face cleansers and washes. Finding a natural, good quality face cleanser is imperative for healthy skin. You wash your face at least once a day, and hopefully even twice (in the morning and at night). A face wash should cleanse, rehydrate, wash away dirt, oils, and impurities, and not be too harsh and dry out skin.
The problem with most face cleansers is they contain a host of chemical and synthetic ingredients that are too drying, harsh on your skin, and can even make you break out and give you unpleased and unsightly rashes. Therefore, it is important to ditch the chemical washes and opt for a healthy, natural, and organic option.
The 5 Best Selling Natural Face Cleansers:
- NEW TUBE PACKAGING. SAME GREAT PRODUCT. ESPECIALLY GREAT FOR THOSE WITH VERY SENSITIVE SKIN: NO harmful chemicals of any kind (no chemical preservatives, no SLS, SLES, Propylene Glycol, PG...
- OUR PRODUCTS ARE CONCENTRATED AND EFFECTIVE: Gently & thoroughly cleanses your skin without stripping, drying or leaving build-up. Our 4 oz. bottle is equivalent to 8 oz. bottles of other products. A...
- MADE WITH CERTIFIED ORGANIC & 100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our products are prepared every week to ensure they are at their optimum best when you receive them. We even go one step further and guarantee...
- DESIGNED TO GET YOU RESULTS. Uniquely designed to gently, thoroughly, cleanse your skin while delivering key nourishing and benefiting ingredients. While it can be used alongside other brands, our...
- EXTREME ANTIOXIDANT BENEFITS - With potent antioxidants like Vitamin C, and natural Organic Aloe, this cleanser works for both men and women to rejuvenate and refine the skin. All types of skin will...
- BLEMISH DEFENSE - Our Vitamin C Cleanser helps clear and reduce pores, breakouts, and skin blemishes. The ingredients in this cleanser help with sun spots, discoloration, dullness and free radical...
- BRIGHTENING ACTION FOR BALANCED COMPLEXION - Penetrating deep to keep the skin hydrated by using a combination of soothing oils and moisturizers to leave the face with a boost of hydration and a clean...
- EXFOLIATING AGE REVERSAL - Boosters in this cleanser help to wash away dulling skin cells, fading the appearance of lines, wrinkles, or fine blemishes. With nourishing ingredients to provide daily...
- Majestic Pure Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil; Camellia Deep Cleansing Oil; no harmful chemicals; no added color or alcohol; all natural fragrance; not tested on animals; vegan; gluten free; made in the...
- Gentle Facial cleanser, suitable for daily use; excellent source of vitamins and moisturizers.
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Avoid direct contact with eyes. If contact does occur, rinse thoroughly with water. Keep out of reach of children.
- Great as an all natural makeup remover, eye makeup remover; natural bath body and massage oil; Regular use may reduce the appearance of acne scars and stretch marks
- Unique formula with three essential ceramides (1, 3, 6-II) that cleanses and removes oil without disrupting the skincare barrier
- Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture and niacinamide to help calm skin.
- Foaming action gently refreshes
- Fragrance free, non-comedogenic, non-drying and non-irritating
- Face and Body Scrub; Reduces the appearances of Pores, Acne, Acne Scars, Blackheads and Whiteheads.i Formulated with dead sea salt and activated charcoal to expel excess oil and impurities from skin;...
- Activated charcoal acts like a magnet to attract and absorb dirt and oil from your skin, giving you a deep cleaned feeling; excellent for acne prone skin; detoxify and rejuvenate, effectively...
- SAFETY WARNING: For external use only. Rub a very small amount on the inside of your elbow area to test for any allergic reaction before use. Avoid contact with eyes, keep out of the reach of...
- Dead Sea Salts contain 21 minerals including magnesium, calcium, sulfur, bromide, iodine, sodium, zinc and potassium. These essential minerals naturally occur in our bodies but must be replenished, as...
- EVERYDAY USE: Ideal for all skin types, removes makeup and impurities leaving skin fresh
- VIRGIN COCONUT OIL: Provides gentle cleansing while maintaining skin's moisture level
- GIVE BACK: Your Alaffia purchase funds empowerment projects helping to break the cycle of poverty
- FAIR TRADE: Alaffia has committed to sourcing 100% Certified Fair Trade Ingredients
- GENTLE NON GREASY FORMULA: Even if you have oily skin, this toner wont dry out your face or leave it greasy; leaving a soft, supple feel.
- IDEAL FOR NORMAL TO VERY DRY SKIN: Ultra-moisturizing and enriched with rice water, it contains vitamins A, B and E, minerals and ceramide that leave your skin soft, vibrant and hydrated.
- WHAT DOES RICE WATER DO? This rice water is perfect to be used as a face cleanser. The nutrients in the rice water is believed to shrink pores, reduce fine lines, and tighten and brighten your skin -...
- CLEANSING OIL: Dissolves excess sebum (oil) and gets rid of acne causing impurities with enriched Jojoba oil while hydrating the epidermis.
- Moisturizing, brightening, and detoxifying cleansing foam made with rice water and moringa oil
- Its creamy and cushiony texture eases handling and moisturizing ingredients leave skin feeling hydrated after cleansing by minimizing moisture loss
- Moringa oil and soapwort
- A moisturizing and brightening cleansing line using quality rice water
- Extracts deep impurities and removes stubborn pore congestion for vibrant skin free of excess oil using a unique combination of fruit acids, salicylic acid and willow bark extract
- Rich, lathering, oil-free cream for sensitive skin
- 100 percent vegetarian ingredients
- No animal testing
- CLEARS SKIN NATURALLY for a healthy, soft glow. Our Charcoal Soap is great for men and women with all skin types! A great everyday organic face cleanser and body wash for those suffering with acne,...
- CHEMICAL-FREE SKINCARE. Made with the highest grade natural and certified organic ingredients that are less likely to irritate or dry sensitive skin. Formulated with activated charcoal and...
- A PERFECT FACE AND BODY WASH. We make our soap by hand in the USA through traditional, small batch, cold processed method to best preserve the quality and effectiveness of our all-natural ingredients.
- LATHER UP AND FEEL AMAZING with the calming scent of lemongrass and lavender, two powerful essential oils that have antifungal, astringent, and antibacterial properties.
Toxic Ingredients in Face Cleansers
Sodium Lauryl Sulfateis found in most traditional face cleansers and even some washes that claim they are natural and chemical-free. SLS can cause major skin irritations, canker sores, damage to the eyes, and can cause bad acne around the mouth and the chin. If you find yourself breaking out is a red and/or bumpy, and painful rash around the mouth, chin, and eyes you may have an allergy to SLS. The EWG Skin Deep website classifies SLS as “expected to be toxic or harmful” in organ system toxicity. SLS a chemical surfactant that makes soapy products, like face wash, foam.
SLS can also be hidden in the ingredient list on a face cleanser as sodium coco sulfate, which is still equally as harmful despite the fact it is derived from coconuts and not made artificially in a lab. SLS strips your face of its natural oils, which can make your face produce even more oil to combat the issue.
Fragrance is another ingredient that should be avoided at all costs – not just in face wash, but any personal care or makeup product as well. Fragrance is where many companies like to hide heaps of chemicals and artificial ingredients. Companies are not required to disclose what is included in the term “fragrance.” Additionally, most fragrances are stabilized with phthalates, which are chemicals that are linked to reproductive issues and birth defects when tested on animals.
Parabens are also extremely common and you can read all about the dangers of parabens in our post on foundations, here.
How to Find a Natural Face Cleanser
There are a few important tips to keep in mind when searching for your new chemical-free face cleanser. Many companies can claim they are natural or “uses natural ingredients.” However, that doesn’t mean they are actually natural – it could still be loaded with chemicals and toxic ingredients.
Since cosmetics are not fully regulated, personal care companies are not required to fully disclose what is in their products so it’s imperative you read the ingredient list. Keep a look of for any red flag ingredients, like those above, and any other ingredients that sound like a chemical formula. When in doubt about an ingredient, use the EWG Skin Deep database to check the ingredients toxicity level.
Look for a face wash that only has a small amount of ingredients and ones that are naturally derived. You don’t need your face wash to have 20 different ingredients listed on the label.
The 4 Best Natural and Organic Face Cleansers:
With so much to keep in mind, here are 5 of the best natural and organic face cleansers to get you started!
Desert Essence face cleanser is USDA Certified organic, super moisturizing, and gentle on sensitive skin. This face wash won’t leave your skin feeling tight or dry after using it due to the hydrating abilities of apple juice, cucumber, chamomile, and aloe. The cucumber also leaves your skin bright and glowing!
This face wash is free of animal-derived ingredients, animal testing, animal cruelty, parabens, artificial fragrances/dyes, petrolatum compounds such as mineral oil, petrolatum, or paraffin, SLS, PEGS, PPG, MERA, DEA, TEA, glycols, phthalates, and gluten. When you read the ingredient list the only stuff you see is wholesome, natural, real ingredients.
This face wash is great for those of you who have normal and sensitive skin. The face wash is all handmade and affordably priced. It’s formulated with pure organic castile soap and kaolin clay, which is fantastic for quickly drawing out impurities. They also put in Palmarosa essential oil for antiseptic and bactericide properties that help to hydrate super sensitive skin.
Since this face wash is always handmade, you can even customize you own wash! You can choose to remove the Palmarosa essential oil or add/remove exfoliating jojoba beads. This wash is also EWG Verified so you can feel 100% confident you are purchasing a safe face cleanser.
This is a great all around cleanser for all face types. It is a gentle formula that still removes debris and makeup from your face and pores. Coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil provide nourishing and light hydrating properties without weighing down skin. It has a gel-like consistency, has no added fragrances, and no harsh chemicals or synthetic cleansers.
There is nothing weird in this rose scented face wash! This face wash is extra gentle for people who have very sensitive skin. It cleans away debris and makeup, leaving your skin fresh and squeaky-clean.
According to the description, “licorice and uvaursi brighten; coffee cherry and green coffee revitalize; yellow dock calms redness while anti-inflammatory chamomile, calendula and aloe deeply soothe.” There are absolutely no harsh chemicals, synthetic cleansers, or toxic ingredients.
This is a super gentle, nourishing, and moisturizing face wash. It will not dry out you skin, cause irritation, or any redness. The cucumber is smoothing and hydrating, watercress is rich in antioxidants and help prevents skin from harmful free radical damage. This face wash is also fragrance-free, gluten-free, and vegan. It is only made from simple, pure ingredients that are USDA Certified Organic.
All of our top 5 cleansers are sure to make you skin healthier and more radiant than it has ever been. When you choose a face cleanser without any harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients, your skin will thank you!
Face cleansers are full of harsh foaming agents and chemicals. Make sure you get a natural and organic based face wash for the best skin possible with these picks.