Is a face toner part of your normal day-to-day skincare routine? If it is not, that is more common than you may think as most people don’t think using a toner is necessary or perhaps don’t even know what it is.
However, using a face toner as part of your skincare routine does indeed have a lot of fantastic benefits for the skin and can be a game-changer in your skincare. If you feel like the other products you are using and not working as well as they are supposed to, it could be because you are failing to incorporate a toner into your routine.
Face toners are characteristic of their thin consistency which is similar to regular water. They are lightweight and don’t add any heaviness or greasiness to your skin. Since the world of face toners can be confusing, today we’re going to explore the 10 best natural and organic face toners that each have a wide variety of benefits.
We’re also going to discuss common FAQs about face toners, typical toxic ingredients found in most conventional face toner, and how you can choose the best natural and organic face toner for your skin type.
The 10 Best Natural and Organic Toners:
1. Beauty by Earth Face Toner
This refreshing and gentle face toner is made with Organic Witch Hazel, Organic Rose Petal Water, Natural Glycerin, Organic Aloe Vera, and Organic Cucumber. They never use any toxic and harmful ingredients such as parabens, gluten, soy, or harsh alcohols.
2. Sky Organics Organic Lavender Witch Hazel Toner
This is a certified organic face toner that combines the powerful yet soothing ingredients of lavender essential oil and witch hazel. It is meant to calm, refresh, and rehydrate your skin while cleansing and moisturizing at the same time.
3. Melixir Vegan Balancing Toner Organic Green Tea Extract
This is an all-natural facial toner that is made with 100% green tea extract. It will reduce any redness on the skin and also treat inflammation. Plus, dullness of the skin and uneven skin texture is no match for this pure and one-ingredients green tea toner. It is ideal for all skin types including regular, combination, acne-prone, sensitive, dry, etc.
4. THAYERS Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel Facial Toner
Perhaps the most common and well-known natural face toner on the market, THAYERS is a known and trusted brand that has been used for generations for toning and taking care of the skin. It cleanses, tones, and moisturizes the skin at the same time. Their specific witch hazel proprietary extract, contains 195% more tannins than competitors, making it the best witch hazel toner you can buy.
5. Era Organics Face Toner Spray
We really love the idea of this face toner because it comes in a spray and not in a bottle that has to be poured and then applied with a cotton pad. It makes it just a little bit easier for people that are looking for something super simple. With ingredients like aloe, rose water, apple cider vinegar, and bergamot extract this toner can help with making your skin softer, fighting acne, dry skin, aging, cleansing skin, and minimizing the appearance of pores.
6. PURA D’OR USDA Organic Rose Water Toner
If you are looking to control excess oil, make your skin clearer, moisturize your skin, make your skin look more youthful, and make your skin stronger and healthier overall, you are going to want to give this rosewater toner a try, it is certified organic by the USDA and it is made with only one simple, wholesome, and pure ingredient…roses! So, not only is this toner going to smell amazing, but it also couldn’t get any healthier than this.
7. Nourish Organic Refreshing Skin Toner
Certified USDA organic and made with pure and natural ingredients, you cannot go wrong with this face toner. You are not going to find any parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, sulfates, artificial fragrances, colors or preservatives, silicones, mineral oil, propylene glycol, phenoxyethanol, PEGs, or EDTA. But you will find pure and healthy ingredients like aloe, rose flower water, witch hazel, yeast, and glycerin.
8. Andalou Naturals Clementine + C Illuminating Toner
Fruit stem cell complex, vitamin C, and aloe vera polysaccharides are used in this special face toner is to make your skin feel refreshed and hydrated at the same time. It can also boost the circulation in your skin, balance the skin’s pH level, improve the texture and tone of the skin while illuminating and making your skin glow like it never has been able to before! Your skin is going to look dewy, flawless, and free from signs of aging.
9. Honey Girl Organics Facial Toner
Honey Girl Organic Face Toner purifies, moisturizes, and refreshes your skin and gives your skin the perfect glow after application and doing to rest of your skincare routine. Not only does it help with that, but it is also going to fight signs of aging, reduce puffiness of the skin, and help stimulate the blood flow in your face. This face toner is beneficial for dry skin and oily skin.
10. Organic Face & Body Toner by Herbal Choice Mari
This is a certified organic toner that you cannot just use on your face but you can use it on your entire body as well, which we think it pretty awesome! It is made for all skin types and is 100% Chemical Free, SLS and Detergent Free, Paraben Free, and Preservative Free. It is rich in antioxidants and helps to balance the pH level in your skin. It is also so gentle that it can be used on the most sensitive skin. It also comes in spray form making it easy for application on the face and body.
Since so many people don’t know about face toners and what their actual benefits are for the skin, we are going to go into quite a bit of detail regarding face toners, what they are, how to use them, and clear up any confusion surrounding using toners.
This buyers guide is a great way to begin your journey to using and finding face toners that would be highly beneficial for your skin and give you some of the healthiest skin you’ve had in your whole life.
Ingredients to avoid in a conventional face toner
While there will be more than five ingredients you will want to skip out on when buying a face toner, these five common face toner ingredients are ones you most definitely want to avoid.
In order to learn more about ingredients, you should avoid in common skincare products, you can check out our blog post on The Dirty dozen ingredient list that was created by the EWG Skin Deep database.
- Alcohols: many toners contain very high levels and concentrations of alcohol comma which is something you need to avoid in your face toner. too much alcohol is going to cause redness and irritation to the skin, which can actually make your skin worse particularly if you suffer from bad acne. Too much alcohol is going to reduce the sebum in your skin too much, which is going to lead to dull and dry skin that is painful.
- Benzoyl peroxide: another common offender in many conventional faced toners is this ingredient. It is considered an anti-acne ingredient. While it can reduce the number of bacteria on the skin which causes acne, using a toner with too high a concentration will wind up leading to peeling skin and also accelerate signs of aging.
- Fragrance: fragrance is an ingredient that appears on our must avoid list pretty much every time, and fragrance and perfume is commonly found in face toner as well. Fragrance is an issue because there can be thousands of chemicals lurking in this one ingredient period to learn more about fragrances and there are dangers read our blog post here.
How to buy the best natural and organic face toner for your skin type
As with any other natural and organic product, beauty is on your face or body, there are a few simple rules to follow when trying to buy the best organic and natural face toner for your skin. It can go without mention that you should avoid the three ingredients we discussed in the section above as well as the ingredients on The Dirty dozen list.
There are a few other key tips for finding the best natural and organic options that you can keep in mind. First and foremost, you want to try to find brands that use minimal and simple ingredients you know and recognize. Healthy and wholesome ingredients like aloe, essential oils, botanical extracts, veggie extracts, and other natural ingredients such as these are the main ingredients you want your face toner.
If that ingredient list is starting to sound like a complex science manual, you are going to want to skip out on that and try to find a different alternative.
Since there are so many different kinds of face toner available that all do different things for your skin, try to find natural and organic options for skin issues that you are looking to address.
For instance, if you have oily skin and acne, go for a toner with special ingredients to fix those issues. If you are looking for anti-aging properties and glowing skin, there are loads of options to choose from in that category.
What are the benefits of a face toner?
There are three main benefits to using a face toner and they are as follows:
- Remove impurities from your skin – a toner can remove bacteria, dirt, and traces with makeup from your skin after you cleanse your face. A face cleanser is not going to get rid of everything, so following up with a face toner will ensure you are removing all of those toxins and pollutants from your skin.
- It protects your skin – many people will use a toner to help reduce the look of their pores. But a more long-term beneficial aspect is a toner will close up any open gaps in your skin cells. This will ensure bacteria and particles cannot as easily enter your skin and cause skin issues and irritations.
- Helps your other skincare products work better – using a toner after cleansing your face will help your other skincare products work more efficiently and effectively. It will help your other skincare products penetrate deeper into your skin.
Is it ok to use face toner every day?
This is highly dependent on your skin type and the type of toner you were using. However, overall, most toners are gentle enough to use on your skin every day. But if you are experiencing any issues or feeling as though using a face toner is what is causing new skin issues, you may either want to try a different product or only use your toner every other day or a couple of times per week to see if it makes a difference.
How to use face toner?
You will want to use your face toner right after you cleanse your face. The rule of thumb is to apply skincare products from lightest to heaviest. Toner has a water-like consistency, so that is the first course of action. Toner is applied before serums, moisturizers, creams, etc.
Overall, including a toner into your daily, or weekly, skincare routine is a great way to boost the power and efficiency of the other skincare products you use. There are so many types of toners to choose from to help with pretty much any skin condition you want to improve such as acne, fine lines and wrinkles, large pores, redness, and tons more. Choosing one of the above 10 best naturals and organic toners is the perfect place to start and you can feel safe and good about using them on your face. If you give any of them a try, let us know!
This article was last updated on May 15, 2023 .