Using a hair mask is a great way to treat a wide variety of hair concerns. Hair masks are beneficial for dry hair, limp hair, oily hair, frizzy hair, and so much more. The possibilities for hair masks are truly endless.
While there are tons of pre-made hair masks and hair care products you can buy from the store or online, making your own at home is fast, simple, and easy to whip up anytime. It is also great because you can control exactly what you put in your hair mask.
Doing a DIY version means you can make it fresh and without any additives or unnecessary ingredients and reuse the ingredients for a natural face mask. That means never any preservatives, artificial colors, dyes, fragrances, chemicals, fillers, and other toxic ingredients.
Customization is also another benefit to making a homemade natural hair mask at home. If you want to add more honey to the mask for further conditioning, you can! If you are looking to add more volume to your hair while also making your hair less oily and greasy, you can do that as well.
Since there are so many benefits to making your own homemade hair mask, below are two hair masks that address two of the most common concerns people have about their hair:
- Hair that is oily, greasy, and lacks volume
- Hair that is dry, brittle, and lacks shine
The great thing about these hair masks is that they require simple ingredients you likely have in your house already. There is nothing weird, fancy, or complicated about the ingredients and they take only a matter of minutes to whip up!
Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask
If you have found that your hair is dry, brittle, the ends are splitting, and your hair lacks shine and luster, you will want to use this deeply hydrating and nourishing hair mask.
Coconut oil is a highly nutritious oil that works to repair and condition damaged and dry hair. Coconut oil will help restore the natural proteins in your hair, making your hair stronger and look more vibrant. Coconut oil also contains a compound called lauric acid. This type of acid helps the special emollient properties of honey go deeper into the hair, so your hair is deeply conditioned and repaired from the inside out.
We love the fact this mask only uses two simple ingredients – honey and coconut oil. You will want to make sure you are using organic virgin coconut oil and an organic, ideally raw, honey. This will ensure that your hair mask has the most vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants possible to help nourish and deeply condition your hair.
Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon of raw organic honey
- 4 tablespoons organic virgin coconut oil
Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask Instructions:
- Measure out your coconut oil and honey. Place into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for a few seconds so the coconut oil melts. Some organic honey will be in solid form as well, so make sure that melts if needed.
- Spread the mixture evenly through damp hair, from roots to tips of your hair. Focus, especially on the tips of hair as those, tend to be the driest and most damaged.
- Tie your hair into a bun and leave in for thirty minutes.
- Wash out, shampoo, and condition hair as normal.
Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon, and Honey Mask
This hair mask is meant for those who have limp and oily hair. If you feel like you need some extra volume, need to clear away product buildup, or have found your hair is getting oily and greasy quickly, this is the mask for you!
The lemon juice will absorb any excess oils from your hair and scalp. Apple cider vinegar is great for balancing pH levels, so your scalp has the proper levels of acidity for healthy hair and scalp. ACV will also clean your hair, but it will not strip away essential oils and moisture from your hair and scalp. The addition of the honey in the mask seals in moisture, so your hair is not left overly dry – honey is a natural and effective conditioner.
Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon, and Honey Mask Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon raw organic honey
- ¼ cup raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1 organic lemon
Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon, and Honey Mask Instructions:
- Measure all of your ingredients and mix them together.
- Work through damp hair from roots to tips.
- Put your hair in a bun and leave in for thirty minutes.
- Rinse out hair. You can opt to shampoo and condition as normal, but often times you will not need to, and your hair will be left feeling clean, moisturized, and full of volume!
This article was last updated on May 6, 2022 .