Just like with any other conventional makeup brand, lipstick falls pray to the many issues and dangers of beauty products. In fact, it may be one of the worst beauty products to buy on the market if you are not buying all natural and organic options. That is because lipstick is filled with tons of chemical ingredients that are toxic to our bodies, but most notably, they contain dense levels of strong pigmentation to give them their rich and vibrant color – and of course that pigmentation is not coming from natural sources, but artificially crafted color.
The 5 Best Selling Natural and Organic Lipsticks:
- LONG LASTING LIPSTICK: Intense color with 8 hour moisture leaves lips silky smooth with a satin finish and creamy texture
- MOISTURIZING LIP COLOR: This lipstick helps condition and sooth lips with moisturizing ingredients like Beeswax, Moringa Oil, Raspberry Seed Oil and Vitamin E
- ALL DAY COLOR: Enhance your natural lip color wearing the gorgeous Blush Basin shade that's a full-coverage lipstick in a warm reddish, pink hue
- ALL NATURAL MAKEUP: Burt's Bees Lipsticks are 100% natural and are formulated without parabens, phthalates, petrolatum and SLS made with recyclable packaging
- 4 BLISTERING COLORS OF CHAPSTICK MULTIPACK: Delicious smell with a peppermint vanilla Flavor! Energize your lips with our Luscious Shimmer, Champagne, Plum and Raisin Tints. Best Organic Lip Balms....
- 100% PURE ORGANIC MOISTURIZING TINTED LIP BALM PACK: Organic Castor Oil, Organic Beeswax, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Vanilla Flavor, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Peppermint Oil,...
- NON-TOXIC, NON-GMO, GLUTEN FREE, NO chemicals, NO petroleum or petroleum derivatives, NO fillers and No soy! Organic Lip Moisturizer. Nourishing Lip Butter Perfect for Women and Teens, Dry Lips,...
- CRUELTY FREE AND EARTH FRIENDLY PACKAGING: Our products are never tested on animals and our packaging is completely recyclable.
- Ecco Bella FlowerColor Natural Lipstick for All Day Lip Protection - Gluten-, Paraben, and Fragrance-Free - CafÃ au Lait, .13 oz.
- A set of pout-worthy lip colors in festive, holiday-edition cases.
- Clinique Pop Lip Colour Primer 0.13 oz / 3.8g each. Sugar Pop, Cherry Pop, Party Pop, Raspberry Pop, Plum Pop.
- For all skin types
- SAFER AND GENTLER INGREDIENTS - The Mineral Fusion Lipstick is formulated with only the safest and most gentle ingredients, making it suitable for all skin types. It contains skin-soothing botanicals,...
- MOISTURIZING FORMULA - The Pomegranate, Red Tea, White Tea, and Vitamins C and E content of this lipstick will protect your delicate lips against free radical damage. The Shea Butter and Jojoba Seed...
- LONG-LASTING COLOR - This luxurious formula boasts a smooth and rich color that has excellent staying power. It can resist smudging and feathering for a perfectly enhanced pout. Smooth on lips to add...
- PURE INGREDIENTS - Mineral Fusion only uses pure ingredients from refreshing botanicals and minerals. It is 100% vegan and free from Gluten, Talc, Paraben, and Phthalates. Additionally, this product...
The Dangers of “Unnatural” Lipstick
Many popular unnatural brands of lipstick contain very concerning levels of heavy metals. According to a study done at the University of California-Berkley School of Public Health, they tested 32 different lipsticks and lip glosses contained heavy metals that include chromium, lead, cadmium, manganese, and aluminum.
- Chromium – a known human carcinogen and linked to stomach tumors and cancers.
- Lead – a neurotoxin and hormone disruptor with no safe limits for the human body.
- Cadmium – accumulative exposure to our body can cause liver damage and fragile bones.
- Manganese – too much of this metal can cause symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
- Aluminum –a known neurotoxin and carcinogen.
Although the FDA has set “safe” limits for these heavy metals, research may be flawed. Additionally, they do not take into account how accumulative exposure to these heavy metals in beauty products will affect the human body in the long run – which is the most important aspect right? This is so concern for lipstick use because most women reapply their lipstick at least two times per day. Over the course of a lifetime, that is a lot of heavy metal buildup within the human body.
Other Ingredients to Watch Out For
Heavy metals in your lipstick are not the only toxic ingredients you need to be concerned about. Below are jus a few of the other chemical and toxic ingredients found in conventional lipstick that may have detrimental effects on the human body. This is by no means a comprehensive list and many more concerning ingredients are lurking in those fancy lipstick tubes.
Phthalates and Synthetic Fragrance
Both of these ingredients should be avoided at all costs. Fragrance is where many companies are able to hide a laundry list of chemicals and artificial ingredients. Companies are not required to disclose what is included in the term “fragrance.” Additionally, most fragrances are stabilized with phthalates, which are chemicals that are linked to reproductive issues and birth defects when tested on animals.
BHA and BHT
BHA and BHT are often found in foundations as a preservative. They are a type of synthetic antioxidant and can cause cancers and negatively affect hormone function in the body. Exposure to these substances for an extended period of time have been linked to liver, kidney, and thyroid conditions in mice and can promote tumor growth in certain conditions.
Methylparabens and Propylparabens
These are parabens that are used as a preservative in many cosmetics, including lipsticks. The scary thing is that while we can still use these ingredients in the US, they have been banned all throughout the EU because they have been proven as toxic to humans.
How to Find a Safe Lipstick
There are a couple of trick that make it easy when you are searching for your new natural lipstick. Many brands claim they are natural or “uses natural ingredients.” However, that doesn’t mean they are actually natural – it could still be loaded with chemicals and toxic ingredients. Since cosmetics are not fully regulated, cosmetic companies are not required to fully disclose what is in their products. This means that all a company has to do is use one naturally derived ingredient in their product such as jojoba oil, and they can claim they use “natural ingredients.” Obviously, this does not mean the product is safe or natural.
Be sure that you read the ingredient list and keep an eye out for any of the above ingredients that are commonly found in lipsticks. Some natural and organic brands can still use ingredients you may not want to use of your body. We always like to say that if you cannot pronounce an ingredient or have no idea what the ingredient is, put that lipstick product down and search for another option. Often, a laundry list of ingredients is a red flag as well and all of those ingredients are unnecessary. Try and find lipsticks and lip-glosses with as little ingredients as possible.
The 5 Best Natural and Organic Lipsticks:
Since we have learned a little bit about the toxic ingredients commonly found in lipstick, what the avoid, and how to choose a lipstick that is safe and healthy, let us check out the 5 best natural and organic lipsticks.
This special formula always makes sure your lips never look dry and cracked, but full and plump. This lipstick is colored with fruit pigments and no synthetic colors made in a lab. Colors come from fruits like cabernet grapes, plums, tomatoes, blueberries, blackberries, apricots, peaches, pomegranates, and tons more! Pure cocoa butter, shea butter, and vitamin E oil act as nourishing ingredients to keep your lips soft and hydrated. It also helps the color of the lipstick to be more vibrant.
These matte lipsticks come in a wide range of colors and are matte, opaque, and long-lasting wear. All of 100% Pure’s lipsticks are vegan
W3ll People is a much-loved brand and the recipient of many makeup and beauty awards for the best natural and healthy makeup and beauty products. This lipstick and lip balm gives your lips sheen color and is not too thick, heavy, and cakey. This is a deeply nourishing lipstick balm that provides gorgeous shine and deeply penetrating lip moisture. The extreme moisture comes from organic omega and rosehip oils and aloe vera to sooth cracked and chapped lips.
Nudist ColorBalm also has a natural fragrance of vanilla mint and it made with 100% natural ingredients. This product is made in the USA and is never tested on animals as well.
Made WITHOUT Artificial preservatives, parabens, harsh chemicals, dyes, fragrance, silicone, dimethicone, pthalates, sulphates, petroleum, talc, bismuth oxychloride, and nanoparticles.
Rejuva Minerals is an EWG verified brand, so you can feel super safe and confident using their healthy and pure lipsticks. Their lipsticks come in many different shades and are made with 61.65% organic ingredients. They are vegan, gluten free, and soy free as well. Pur’ Lips lipstick is color with minerals only and has absolutely no FD&C dyes or carmine (which are actually insect parts – can you say gross?) the lipstick tubes are packaged with no BPA or phthalates.
Ingredients in this lipstick are kept simple with organic sunflower, organic jojoba, pomegranate, mica, organic coconut, organic carnauba, candelilla, vitamin E from sunflowers, organic shea butter, organic vanilla, and iron oxide.
Another EWG verified brand, Costal Classic lipsticks and beautiful and healthy for your lips and body alike. This lipstick is paraben-free, fragrance free, allergen-free, and gluten free.
Ingredients in this lipstick include: Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) Seed Oil; Candelilla (Euphorbia cerifera) Wax; Carnauba (Coperniciacerifera) Wax; Sesame (Sesamumindicum) Seed Oil; Orange (Citrus aurantium) Oil; Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citrus) Oil; May Contain: Iron oxides CI 77491, CI 77492*
“*Note: Our iron oxides fully conform to the European Union Directive 2008/128/EC for purity requirements as well as meeting all requirements of US 21 Code of Federal Regulations for purity.”
European regulations on beauty products are significantly more strict than that of the US, so you can feel safe and comfortable with the safety of this lipstick and brand.
isoi is EWG verified as well and is also an Amazon top choice. This lipstick is non-toxic and has absolutely no artificial fragrance or chemical colorants. Furthermore, there are no parabens or nasty chemical preservatives either.
This is a great product if you are looking for color tinted lips, but want your lip color to be protective against rough and chapped lips, especially in the cold winter months. Natural ingredients like Bulgarian rose oil, beeswax, and rosehip oil are perfect for providing your lips with hydrating and essential oil. This will leave your lips feeling soft and supple. Don’t we all want that?
Ingredients in this lipstick include the following: RicinusCommunis (Castor) Seed Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, SimmondsiaChinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Rosa Canina Fruit Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, VitisVinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, CoperniciaCerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Beeswax, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Sodium Citrate, Dextrin, Carmine, Potassium Alum
You asked and we answered. You can now publish our content on your blog, free of charge. Read More.