Foundation is one of the most important makeup products to buy natural and organic. Foundation is worn all over your face and takes up a large surface area of skin. Since that foundation slathered over your whole face, instead of just your eyes or lips, your body and skin absorb more of the chemicals and toxic ingredients if you use conventional foundation. Our skin is the largest organ and it is designed to protect us from the world’s harshest elements. You wouldn’t want to purposefully damage your most precious organ, so treating it with care is a must.
The 5 Best Selling Natural Foundations:
- Look years younger instantly. COVERGIRL meets Olay science with this Simply Ageless 3-in-1 liquid foundation that instantly neutralizes the look of wrinkles, evens skin tone, and delivers firming...
- COVERGIRL + Olay Simply Ageless 3-in-1 Foundation is the #1 anti-aging foundation now in a liquid. Transform into a younger version of you with our formula to erase the look of age spots,...
- Defy nature and neutralize problem areas. Simply Ageless 3-in-1's system will transform wrinkles, even skin tone and dark spots, and delivers firming hydration with each use. Available in 12 radiant...
- When COVERGIRL and Olay team up, you know it's a system you can trust to perform with flawless results. Simply Ageless 3-in-1 will be your miracle foundation to looking years younger. Compare to other...
- Contains (1) 0.4oz. pot COVERGIRL & Olay Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle Defying Foundation, Creamy Natural. Simply Ageless Foundation hydrates skin over time. Reduces the look of discolorations, fine...
- COVERGIRL beauty meets Olay Science. Instantly gives you a flawless look with a visibly noticeable difference. For a flawless, airbrushed, photo-ready foundation look at any age, use COVERGIRL & Olay...
- COVERGIRL & Olay Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle Defying Foundation fights lines & signs of aging. Developed with COVERGIRL expertise & Olay skin care, Simply Ageless foundations blur fine lines by...
- Get amazing skin at any age with COVERGIRL & Olay Simply Ageless Instant Wrinkle Defying Foundation. At the first application, lines & wrinkles seem to disappear for an instantly smooth, simply...
- Get a matte finish
- Ultra-lightweight foundation absorbs oil for a matte and poreless-looking finish
- This liquid foundation goes beyond matching skin tone, it also matches the texture of normal to oily skin
- Does not clog pores and is oil-free
- Clinically shown to improve skin clarity, reduce pore size appearance and control shine
- Available in 20 true-to-you shades in a sleek foundation compact.
- Ultra-smooth, silky texture glides on effortlessly for superior customizable coverage.
- Exclusively ultra-mattifying powders and oxygen whipped into a mousse foundation formula
- Brings air-light perfection to matte
- Blends seamlessly for a flawless finish that doesn't look flat or chalky
You also likely use your foundation on a daily basis and consistent exposure to these toxic chemicals will only up your risks for the future, which can easily be avoided if you switch to a natural and organic foundation option now.
Therefore, it is imperative to select a foundation that is completely natural, chemical and toxin free and includes ingredients that are wholesome and beneficial to the skin.
Why Most Foundations are Dangerous
Conventional foundations include a host of dangerous, synthetic, toxic, and cancer-causing ingredients. Below are some ingredients you must avoid if you want to treat your skin well and keep your body healthy.
Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) is found in some foundations. SLS can cause major skin irritations, canker sores, damage to the eyes, and can cause bad acne around the mouth and the chin. The EWG Skin Deep website classifies SLS as “expected to be toxic or harmful” in organ system toxicity.
Fragrance/parfum is another ingredient that should be avoided at all costs. Fragrance is where many companies are able to hide a laundry list of chemicals and artificial ingredients. Companies are not required to disclose what is included in the term “fragrance.” Additionally, most fragrances are stabilized with phthalates, which are chemicals that are linked to reproductive issues and birth defects when tested on animals.
Parabens are ones of the most common preservatives found in makeup, including foundation. Parabens are so harmful to the body because they can actually mimic estrogen, according to the FDA. This leads to an increase in breast cancer and skin cancer. Additionally, parabens have the ability to disrupt your endocrine system, leading to reproductive and developmental disorders. This is especially important for women of reproductive age looking to have children. There are many different kinds of parabens, so always keep a look out in the ingredient list.
Mineral oil is a very common ingredient in many face products, including foundations. Mineral oil can cause can create a film over your skin that prevents your skin from naturally releasing any toxin buildup. Of course, this will lead to clogged pores, acne, oil buildup, and even some unsightly rashes. So all of the other toxic makeup you are using staying trapped underneath your skin as well, which can amplify the risks associated with other chemical ingredients. Additionally, mineral oil is a byproduct of petroleum, which should not have a place on our bodies, let alone of faces.
BHA and BHTare often found in foundations as a preservative. They are a type of synthetic antioxidant and can cause cancers and negatively affect hormone function in the body. Exposure to these substances for an extended period of time have been linked to liver, kidney, and thyroid conditions in mice and can promote tumor growth in certain conditions.
These are just 3 harmful ingredients typically found in most foundations. For a comprehensive list of ingredients to avoid, check out this helpful article!
How to Buy the Best Natural Foundation
Since there are so many ingredients to avoid when buying a natural or organic foundation, these tips will help you select the best options on the market.
Find foundations that have a limited amount of ingredients and make sure you can pronounce the list. Chances are if you can’t even sound out an ingredient or it looks like a different language, you’re best to steer clear of the product. If you are ever unsure about the safety of a product, cross check each ingredient of concern on the EWG Skin Deep database. When you search an ingredient it will give you a score (1-10) and break down the ingredient into the biggest areas of concern and overall concern.
Look for labels like cruelty-free, USDA Certified Organic, Non-GMO project verified seal, no parabens, etc. These are often great visual tools to start narrowing down your search. Never trust brands and packages that say “natural” or “made with natural and organic ingredients,” as they can still contain a massive amount of chemicals and toxic ingredients.
Find smaller brands and companies. They often have much more information about their ingredients, where they are sourced from, and the quality level.
The 5 Best Natural and Organic Foundations:
Now, let’s take a look at the 5 best natural foundations that will leave your face, skin, and entire body healthy and happy.
7 ingredients are all it takes to make this clean, healthy, and completely non-toxic foundation – natural boron nitride (mineral), kaolinite clay, certified organic carnauba, organic raspberry, grape, blueberry, and iron oxides for pigment. The fruits are used as natural antioxidants, there are no skin irritants, is vegan, gluten-free, and packaged in eco-friendly jars. This foundation is also EWG Verified and receives a score of just 1.
The foundation itself is smooth and silky for the most flawless and natural looking finish possible. It’s matte and won’t settle into fine lines and cracks in the face. It provides buildable coverage as well. It also feels very light on the skin and does not make your face feel heavy and greasy, which is a notorious issue when using most kinds of liquid foundations.
This EWG Verified foundation, in Coconut Cream, contains only Boron Nitride, Magnesium Myristate, Kaolin, Organic Arrowroot Powder and Iron Oxides. It has absolutely no parabens or artificial or toxic ingredients.
It’s formulated with high-quality natural minerals that will give you even coverage and a velvety smooth finish so your skin can look as flawless as possible. You can use this powder foundation wet or dry. You will achieve lighter coverage using it dry and medium coverage when it is used wet, so this foundation is diverse and can be used for a number of different needs. This color has peach undertones and is meant to medium colored skin tones, but they have a wide variety of color options that will be great for people of most skin colors.
Liquid foundations are much harder to come by in the natural and organic sector because they generally take many more ingredients to make when compared to their powder counterparts. Luckily, Mineral Fusion has you covered, literally! Their foundation is EWG Verified, gluten-free, cruelty-free, paraben-free, artificial color-free, fragrance-free, talc-free, hypoallergenic, and phthalate-free.
You may want to exercise caution with titanium oxide, which is included as an ingredient in this foundation. It receives a level 3 rating and has some health concerns. However, it is of smaller concern compared to other harsher ingredients in conventional foundations. You will likely have to make some sacrifices with your natural foundation if you want to get close to what a conventional foundation is like. There will generally be a few ingredients of higher concern that are not ideal, but still lower risk compared to many other more dangerous and toxic ingredients. You will have to make the decision at your own discretion.
This foundation provides you will full coverage for a flawless finish, it soothes skin with aloe, licorice root, and lavender, and combines green tea, pomegranate, and Vitamin C for age-defying properties. It is an overall healthy foundation option.
W3ll People Foundation Sticks are natural, non-GMO, produced using sustainable energy, and are gluten-free. W3ll People is also EWG Verified so you have peace of mind you are using some of the healthiest foundation out there. This stick uses organic ingredients and it a great option for people on the go, looking for a quick and easy application. It will help blur imperfections and give your skin a warm and healthy glow!
Zuii Organics is a certified organic makeup brand. Their makeup is made from flowers, food grade, made is Australia, free of preservatives, petrochemicals, parabens, talc, nano-particles, and GMO’s. It is also cruelty-free. Their liquid foundation has a beautiful medium coverage and a smooth and natural finish.
How to Apply Foundation Perfectly Every Time
Finding a natural or organic foundation is one of the most challenging makeup finds. This Top 5 list includes some of the best foundations available for purchase that you can feel good about putting on your skin. If you follow our guide and check out these foundations, you are sure to find something perfect for you needs, skin, and budget!
You asked and we answered. You can now publish our content on your blog, free of charge. Read More.