As winter approaches and the weather is getting colder by the day, dry, cracking, and irritated lips are all too common. Dry lips can uncomfortable and sometimes downright painful if they get bad enough.
Using a lip balm to help keep your lips moisturized and hydrated is one important step to keeping your lips healthy. Your lips do not have the ability to produce natural oils like the rest of your body can, hence why dry lips happen so often. Dry lips don’t only occur in the cold weather months and can happen in warm weather as well.
Since your lips don’t produce any natural oils to self-moisturize and hydrate it is up to you to introduce hydration to your lips from outside sources. The most common way to do this is by applying lip balm.
There is an endless number of options to choose from when it comes to lip balm, but not all lip balm is created equal. Many of the brands you find on the internet and in the store are filled with heaps of chemicals and other toxic ingredients. These kinds of chemicals can irritate your lips but can also be digested easily since anything on your lips will work its way into your mouth as well.
The 10 Best Natural and Organic Lip Balms:
With that being said, there are many natural and organic lip balms you can choose from! We are going to share with you the 10 best natural and organic lip balms, as well as discuss the most common chemicals in lip balm, how to choose the best organic lip balm, and go over a few FAQs about everything lip balm related!
Beauty by Earth makes an organic lip balm that is completely unflavored and contains no fragrances at all, even natural oils and extracts. It is the perfect option for those who have sensitive skin or just don’t like any additional scents in their lip balm. With nourishing ingredients like beeswax, cocoa butter, hydrating natural oils, and more, it will help heal your dry lips in no time at all.
Sometimes there is nothing better than using a peppermint lip balm because it can feel so soothing and healing. This peppermint lip balm is particularly great because it is handcrafted by expert beekeepers who pour their natural formula by hand into each tube. They make their formula with amazing ingredients like responsibly sourced beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, and cocoa butter. The balm is rich and soothing on the lips with that perfect peppermint tingle.
These lip balms in this set are so much fun to buy for yourself or as a gift for others because they come in a few super fun flavors. Options like vanilla bean, strawberry, coconut, cherry, mint, and citrus are included in the set. Of course, the best part is all of the flavors are completely organic and made with natural ingredients. The base of their lip balm formula is made with beeswax and includes other wholesome ingredients like coconut oil and pure essential oils.
These lip balms are a bit different than your typical balm because the tube is much larger and chunkier than average. You get more lip balm in the tube so it lasts you for an even longer amount of time. The lip balm is handcrafted and made with 100% organic and fair-trade ingredients. What makes their balm even more special is the addition of Mongongo Oil, a nutrient-rich oil from Zambia, Africa that heals and soothes dry and chapped lips like nothing else in the world. We know you are going to love it, especially because of its fun flavors.
Made in the USA, Cliganic makes lip balm that is Paraben-Free, Phthalates-Free, Petrochemical-Free, and made with 100% organic ingredients you can trust. They formulate their balm with ingredients that are specifically used to nourish and hydrate lips. Vitamin E, beeswax, coconut oil, pure essential oils, beeswax, and olive oil are the perfect combination of ingredients to help heal even the most chapped lips.
This option a different than the others because it makes the most perfect stocking stuffer or a little gift for around the holiday season. All of the holiday flavors and so fun and festive and include sugar cookies, pumpkin spice, and raspberry truffle. Perhaps the best part is they are totally organic and cruelty-free and made with only responsibly sourced ingredients.
Certified organic olive fruit oil, Soybean oil, sunflower seed oil, and rosemary extract are the only ingredients you are going to find in this lip balm, with the addition of orange extract to give the balm the most delicious scent. You will never have to worry about ingredients that are harmful like parabens, gluten, laurel, propylene glycol, mineral oil, Laureth sulfate, artificial colors and dyes, phthalate fragrances, or EDTA.
We love 100% Pure over here at The Natural Beauty Blog and we love that they make the most perfect lip balms as well. Not only is this lip balm going to soothe and heal dry and chapped lips, but it can also help heal pesky cold sores with the addition of the ingredient lysine.
We love this lip balm because it is made with raw and organic ingredients that are so good and healthy for your lips. In their balm, they use cold-pressed and mechanically extracted nut oils, seed oils, and butter. These ingredients are all processed at low temperatures so that they keep all of their essential nutrients and enzymes to provide as much nourishment and healing properties to your delicate lip skin as possible.
Yes, Dr. Bronner’s is known as the best for their organic Castile soaps, but they also make some really great lip balm that you will want to give a try right away! Just like their soaps, their lip balm is also USDA Certified Organic. The base of their balm is made with avocado oil and beeswax. They use the purest essential oils to flavor their lip balm as well. The coolest part about this balm might just be the fact it is a multi-use product. You can use it on your lips, but it also works for dry hands, dry feet, cuticles, and chapped chins and cheeks!
Toxic ingredients in conventional lip balm
- Parabens: Parabens are a common ingredient found in most conventional lip balm because it is an effective preservative. However, it is also a toxic chemical that is a human hormone disruptor. They have the ability to mimic estrogen in the body, which is particularly bad for women.
- Petroleum: If you are into avoiding smearing gas, like for your car, all over your lips, you may also want to stay away from lip balms that contain petroleum jelly and other petrol-based products.
- Fragrances: Although this may sound totally innocent, fragrance in your lip balm is an ingredient you want to avoid at all costs. Since companies don’t have to list the ingredients they use in their fragrances, there could be hundreds of hidden chemicals in that fragrance.
- Propylene glycol: No one should use this chemical anywhere on their body ever; however, it is particularly important for kids and pregnant women to stay away from this chemical. Kid’s bodies cannot break it down, which could lead to toxic buildup levels in the body. Furthermore, too much exposure to this ingredient can cause seizures.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is known as being an ingredient that can dry out your skin as well as irritate it, so why is it lurking in a lip balm? It is simply a filler ingredient that adds no value to a lip balm. The only thing that alcohol in the balm is going to do is dry your lips out even more so you feel like you have to apply the balm more frequently.
How to choose the best natural and organic lip balm
- Avoid fragrances and perfume at all costs. Fragrances contain too many chemicals and can cause too much irritation for sensitive lips. Go for an unflavored option or ensure that the fragrance in a natural lip balm is coming from something like essential oils or extracts.
- Look for the Non-GMO Project label or the USDA Certified Organic label. This will help ensure there are no GMOs in the lip balm and all the ingredients are organic, natural, and healthy.
- Try to choose a lip balm that has a limited number of ingredients listed on the packaging. The fewer ingredients a brand uses, the less likely there is anything nasty and harmful lurking in their product.
How often should you apply lip balm?
Now that you know how to buy the best natural and organic lip balms, exactly how often should you be applying them? If your lips are feeling very dry and chapped, you will want to apply it regularly throughout the day until your lips have healed and felt better. Try to let the balm soak into your lips for as long as possible as this is going to be the best and quickest way for them to heal.
Can you overuse lip balm?
Yes, you can overuse lip balm and you can even become addicted to it. You should only use a lip balm when you are actively trying to treat overly dry lips. If you get into the habit of always wearing lip balm on a daily basis, your lips will get used to that moisture from the balm always being there. In return, once you stop applying the balm your lips will dry out again much faster because your lips have become too reliant on the moisture from the balm.
Using lip balm is an easy and effective way to help prevent and heal dry, chapped, and cracked lips. However, it is important to keep in mind that it does matter what type of lip balm you choose to help heal those lips just like with other lip products, such as lip gloss.
Since most of the conventional brands of lip balm on the market contain loads of toxic and dangerous chemicals. Always opting for a natural and organic option will be your best bet. This way, you can ensure you are only using the best, most wholesome, and natural ingredients on your lips and you won’t have to worry about any dangers.
Choosing any one of the 10 best natural and organic lip balms above is a sure-fire way to keep your lips and body as happy and healthy as possible!
This article was last updated on September 30, 2021 .